What should I do if my child ingests a poison substance?

Prevention is the best treatment, but be prepared in case an ingestion occurs.  The best preparation is to have a Poison Control Center telephone number and your doctor’s telephone number written down close to your telephone.

Who should I call first in case of poisoning?

You should always call you Poison Control Center immediately without delay.  Do not call your physician or the hospital emergency room until after you have contacted the Poison Control Center.

What information should I have available when I call?

  • An accurate description of the product swallows (read the label).
  • An estimate of how much of the poison was ingested or how many pills were swallowed
  • Your child’s age or size in pounds or kilograms.
  • An estimate of how long it has been since the ingestion.
  • Current medicines your child had taken in the past 48 hours.
  • Current illness or chronic medical problems present.
  • Describe any reactions or symptoms suffered from the ingestion (i. e., choking, gagging, vomiting, sleepiness, seizures, unconscious, etc.)

Remember: If any poison is spilled on the skin or in the eyes, rinse thoroughly with luke warm water. Call your Poison Control Center immediately thereafter.